Ellerslie Memory Corner
Memory Corner is located at the intersection of the Main Ellerslie Highway, Roberts Street and Findlay Street. A pedestrian motorway overbridge is situated in the site increasing the importance of access through this area. The site was planned to be used as a venue for use as an exciting future public art project as well as a public space for Ellerslie residents.
This project included the:
- Preparation and amendment of existing proposals to address issues raised by consultation
- Extension of the themes and values expressed in the urban design plan and subsequent town square project into Memory Corner
- Addressing site-specific streetscape issues
The upgrade allowed for improved amenity, better access through the site, additional safety and the opportunity for use as an open area event space in the future.
- Re-kerbing widened the footpath by the overbridge and repaving opened up access to the overbridge ramp.
- New stone walls defined the entrance from Findlay Street and created planting areas by the UBD building.
- The concrete spiral overbridge structure was cleaned, feature lighting added, two new trees in grids and a line of bollards to complete the ensemble.